The base recipe was in the DISH magazine, and I have very slightly tweaked it. Yummy, tasty dish, especially if you love eggplants, chickpeas and smoked paprika which combine so well. Very quick and easy to make
2 medium eggplants or 5-6 long Island eggplants, cutting the long ones in half lengthways
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 clove garlic, crushed
400-gram tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
sea salt and cracked pepper
1 cup thick plain yoghurt
2 tablespoons purchased dukkah
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C fan bake.
2. Prick each eggplant a few times, then place on a baking tray and drizzle the olive oil through the eggplants and toss.
3. Roast for 40-45 minutes, or until they are just starting to collapse and are very tender. Leave to cool for 10 minutes.
4. Melt some olive oil in a sauté pan and stir in the spices and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes then add the chickpeas and allow to warm through.
5. Place the eggplants on plates and make a cut down the centre. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Mix the dukkah in with the yoghurt
7. Top with the chickpeas and serve with a handful of rocket leaves
Serves 2 but you can easily increase quantities to serve 4