The base recipe was in the DISH magazine, and I have very slightly tweaked it. Yummy, tasty dish, especially if you love eggplants, chickpeas and smoked paprika which combine so well. Very quick and easy to make
While the eggplants do take time in the oven, once they’re in, it only takes a few minutes to add the final touches for a flavour-packed meal.
2 medium eggplants or 5-6 long Island eggplants, cutting the long ones in half lengthways
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 clove garlic, crushed
400-gram tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
sea salt and cracked pepper
1 cup thick plain yoghurt
2 tablespoons purchased dukkah
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C fan bake.
2. Prick each eggplant a few times, then place on a baking tray and drizzle the olive oil through the eggplants and toss.
3. Roast for 40-45 minutes, or until they are just starting to collapse and are very tender. Leave to cool for 10 minutes.
4. Melt some olive oil in a sauté pan and stir in the spices and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes then add the chickpeas and allow to warm through.
5. Place the eggplants on plates and make a cut down the centre. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Mix the dukkah in with the yoghurt
7. Top with the chickpeas and serve with a handful of rocket leaves
Serves 2 but you can easily increase quantities to serve 4